CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, February 8, 2009

EARTH!




EARTH! Is there any greater place? At this class at this level, NO! What I mean to say is, at this time in my life and stage in my eternal realm, Earth is the greatest place to be. Earth, Terra, World, Terran, or whatever you want to call it, Earth, this is home to me.




I have studied the Earth for many, many years. I continue to be amazed at the marvelous Creation of Earth. The process of the Creation is still ongoing. Mountains continue to rise toward the Heavens, rivers continue to carve great canyons on their journeys to the seas. New lands are formed as they rise from the depths of the oceans. This great Earth is amazing to me.




As I look back on my studies of the Earth, they began as a young child. I can remember just looking at rocks and collecting rocks. I can remember just loving to be outside. I would walk in the woods viewing the vegetation and wildlife, play around ponds admiring the aquatic life (some very dangerous, cottonmouth or water moccasin), and stare at the stars (even though not part of the Earth, I would have to peer through Earth's atmosphere to view these lights).




My academic studies allowed me to study the Earth in a variety of ways. I have studied Earth's geology. This allowed me to study the Earth up close, touching and handling the Earth. Environmental Studies allowed me to also handle the Earth physically by measuring wells, calculating water flow (hydrology, YIKES! Don't want to be a hydrologist, TOO MUCH MATH!), and taking water samples to test for contamination. As I moved my focus into Geography (Physical Geography), "The Mother of All Sciences" as it is often referred to as, I gained a greater understanding of the Earth System Processes. Geography allowed me to study wildfires and wildfire behavior, natural and technological hazards and disasters (plate tectonics, landslides, volcanoes, hurricanes, etc...), climate changes throughout Earth's History, and study Earth as home to man. Geography also allowed me to use many tools that aid in the understanding of our Earth. Satellite imagery and using different wavelengths of light allow the study of Earth to reach great levels. In a way, as we get further from Earth, the more we can understand Earth. As I studied Earth and always looking down I realized that this was only the beginning in trying to understand our Earth. LOOK UP! Many great mysteries of Earth have been revealed by looking up! This is where I am at in my own personal studies, looking up, now that my formal education is behind me, for the moment! I hope to continue my education, but I want someone else to pay for this!




Looking up is where I have been concentrating my personal studies. I have noticed as I look toward the stars, in study, that I always fall back toward Earth. (Dang Gravity! Hey! Isn't there suppose to be less of a pull toward Earth the further distance you get?) As I study the Universe and the great Creation beyond Earth, I always find something that brings me back to Earth! I really enjoy researching the Universe, but Earth is the best. I really do have a love for this place called Earth.






Ultimately, I am so very grateful for our Heavenly Father and all who created this Earth for us to live for a time. I look at all that I know about Earth and Space and am amazed at what has been created for not only for us, but throughout the Universe. Everything on Earth was made for a specific purpose. Everything that was created and now is in the past was created for a specific purpose. Everything that is yet to be created, will be created for a specific purpose. The same can be said for our amazing Universe, but to a greater extent! This Creation of our infinite Universe is beyond capacity of our minds. As I learn more and more about this Creation, I gain a greater love for our Heavenly Father and the love that he has for us. All that He has created and will create for us shows us how important we are to Him. I am very grateful for all He has done for us.




There is a children's song or Primary song that brings a tear to my eyes every time that I hear it or read it. I can not sing this song to my children, or sing in Church without getting a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat. As I hear the words to this song, I look at the words in great detail and think of the actual Earth Processes that need to occur in order for these things to happen. I look way to in the biology, physics, meteorology, and all around Earth Processes involved. I will leave you with the lyrics to the song below. Try not to shed a tear as you read this and Think About It!




Whenever I hear the song of a bird Or look at the blue, blue sky, Whenever I feel the rain on my face Or the wind as it rushes by, Whenever I touch a velvet rose Or walk by our lilac tree, I'm glad that I live in this beautiful world Heavenly Father created for me. He gave me my eyes that I might see The color of butterfly wings. He gave me my ears that I might hear The magical sound of things. He gave me my life, my mind, my heart: I thank him reverently For all his creations, of which I'm a part. Yes, I know Heavenly Father loves me.












4 comments:

The Williamsons said...

Good post - the Earth is amazing!!

Lloyd said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
Yo Mama

Phae-Jae said...

Good stuff Karl.
When I was a child I thought Heavenly Father made the sky beautiful blue, so we could remember his eyes. :)

I love that song every time I hear it.

Karl Schempp said...

Phaedra, I can tell you why the sky is blue, it is pretty cool. But I will not bore everyone with it here. But, the best blue skies I have seen are in Los Alamos, New Mexico. Especially in the fall in the Pajarito Mountains, just west of Los Alamos, next to the golden leaves from the aspen trees. WOW!